A solar power system installed on your roof can save you money on your electric bill and reduce your carbon footprint. Many municipalities have incentive programs for homeowners that want to put up a solar system. The experience can be very positive, or not, with the difference depending on who you choose as your system installer.
There are a number of things you can do to make sure you choose a good solar power system installer.
- Do you know anyone who has solar panels on their roof already? If so, ask them who their installer was, and whether they were satisfied with them. Personal recommendations are usually reliable.
- Get several quotes. Most installers are willing to come to your location and give you a free estimate on what they can install, at what price. Get at least three quotes from different companies for comparison.
- Ask each company about their products. They should be able explain the differences between different brands of equipment, from the panels to the power inverters and the other components.
- Make sure the company offers a guarantee and stands behind their work. Will they guarantee their work against leaks in your roof, and for how long after the installation?
- Inquire about financing options. Systems can be expensive, and most people will need financing for the up-front cost; find out what each company offers.
- Ask for references or reviews. Often these are available on the company’s website.
Similar to any large purchase, comparing options in choosing a solar power system installer will pay off in the long run. Whether you have a positive or negative experience depends a lot on choosing the best installer.